Location: Sighthill Industrial Estate, Edinburgh
Salary: Competitive Salary + company pension, 25 days holiday
Contract: Full Time, Permanent
Hours: Monday – Friday: Rotating shift pattern across 6am – 2pm and 2pm – 10pm (with time allowed to complete shift handovers before and at the end of each shift)
Join us as a Shift Operations Lead
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Site Operations Lead (SOL) to join our operations team.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, you will have responsibility for leading a shift-based operations team delivering against a range of safety, cost and quality KPIs. You will also participate in the creation and delivery of operational strategy and will be responsible for successfully managing the delivery of site operations improvement plans.
Who Are We?
We are the home of Jammie Dodgers, Paterson Shortbread, Maryland Cookies and Wagon Wheels to name just a few! We are incredibly lucky to work in the world of making delicious biscuits!
‘We are a more successful and fun place to work when people feel free to be themselves’
At Burton’s we believe in the power of being authentic and being able to ‘Be Yourself’.
Understanding our customers is crucial to our success, so having a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers is vital.
As a business we are committed to the continuous improvement of diversity and equality in the workplace and we welcome talented individuals from all backgrounds who share our Pride and Passion for Baking Great Biscuits and snacks.
Along with having amazing brands, we have secured long term agreements to allow us to manufacture a number of sweet & savoury snacks across Mars, Cathedral City & Marmite branded products. We also have several key strategic partnerships within the Retailer Private Label sector and our proud of the amazing biscuits we bake for our customers and consumers.
Burton’s Biscuits are owned by a Private Equity Owned business Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan (OTPP or Teachers for short) and form part of their c.$200 B Net Assets portfolio. Working in partnership with Teachers, has allowed Burtons Biscuits to become a forward thinking and progressive business.
In order to ensure we can continue to make fantastic biscuits, and to help us on this amazing journey, we are proud to announce that in 2019 we completed the acquisition of a premium sweet and savoury biscuit manufacturer Thomas Fudge’s, also in 2019 we acquired Scottish bakers Paterson Arran. This increases our baking capabilities across a number of new sweet and savoury categories.
As a result, we now have 6 bakery sites across the UK, located in Blackpool, Livingston, Edinburgh, Dorset, Isle of Arran and Llantarnam, with our head office in St Albans. In total we employ circa 2,000 people around across our locations.
We don’t want to bore you with just a Job description about the role we want to tell you what it’s really like to work for us?
So let’s start with ….…
What are we all about?
Here at Burton’s Biscuit we pride ourselves on being an employer of choice. Our goal is to support our team in achieving their career goals. We do this by providing a working environment that offers opportunity, support, scope and pace of change. Our culture is the foundation of our business. We are fast paced, agile and fun.
We don’t want to bore you with just a Job description - we want to tell you what it’s really like to work for us?
What might a typical day look like?
Some key tasks will cover:
- Continuously improve quality system to eradicate repeat failures.
- Continually develop our operations system to maximize performance.
- Lead the operations team to continuously improve plant output and delivery of customer service plans.
- Delivery of financial budget aligned with the delivery of KPI’s in line with assigned business unit objectives (waste, TOS, efficiency, machine uptime).
- Work in partnership with site functions, engineering to deliver daily, weekly, monthly, and annual targets.
- Support the creation of a positive working culture through clear and consistent leadership.
- Support and develop your team - recognize and reward performance through regular performance reviews.
- Motivate and coach your shift team in effective decision making, promoting autonomy/accountability, and promoting ownership to enhance engagement at all levels.
What are the key ingredients needed for the role?
- Previous experience working as a leader or manager within a Shift Operations function within in FMCG, with an understanding of manufacturing excellence.
- IOSH, with a strong appreciation of H&S
- Ideally you will have a Food Safety / Hygiene Qualification, but this isn’t essential has happy to consider people outside of the food / drink sector.
- Ideally candidates will have a manufacturing excellence qualification / or be Lean Sigma Green Belt certified etc. This training can be provided for the right candidate.
If you are looking for a new challenge in a fun, fast paced and progressive business then we have the opportunity for you!!
If you are ready to begin a career with real bite we would love to hear from you so apply now by clicking the link below.
You may have experience of the following: Shift Operations Manager, Line Lead, Production Site Team Leader, Shift Supervisor, Assistant Shift Manager, Food Manufacturing, Automotive, FMCG, Food Production, Shift Lead, Factory Manager etc.