About the role:
Due to an internal promotion, we now have a fantastic opportunity for a great manager to support the creation of the Llantarnam engineering strategy, executing the engineering strategy and improvement plans alongside the Site Engineering Manager. Provide support to the site leadership management team to deliver our annual and longer term objectives.
Our Llantarnam bakery has a number of planned capex investment projects already in the pipeline and has already seen great growth and performance in terms of its output, but is yet to reach its full potential. We expect to see further growth and investment for out Llantarnam site and you will play a key role in helping the group achieve it overall business strategy.
Great Salary & benefits to include a company performance related bonus, single private healthcare, plus 25 days holiday (increasing by 1 day after 5 continuous years of service up to a maximum of 30 days) plus 8 bank holidays, Defined contribution pension scheme after 6 months’ qualifying service (pension auto enrolment is also available from start date), Company Sick Pay of up to 3 months in any 12 month period, after 6 months’ qualifying service, increasing to 6 months CSP after 10 years service. Bake My Day Employee Benefits Portal. On site canteen and staff shop (selling BBCo products) & Flexible working – a mix of home and office working
Location: Llantarnam Bakery, South Wales
So, who Are Burton’s Biscuits?
We are the home of Jammie Dodgers, Paterson Shortbread, Maryland Cookies and Wagon Wheels to name just a few! We are incredibly lucky to work in the world of making delicious biscuits!
‘We are a more successful and fun place to work when people feel free to be themselves’
At Burton’s we believe in the power of being authentic and being able to ‘Be Yourself’.
Understanding our customers is crucial to our success, so having a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers is vital.
As a business we are committed to the continuous improvement of diversity and equality in the workplace and we welcome talented individuals from all backgrounds who share our Pride and Passion for Baking Great Biscuits and snacks.
Along with having amazing brands, we have secured long term agreements to allow us to manufacture a number of sweet & savoury snacks across Mars, Cathedral City & Marmite branded products. We also have several key strategic partnerships within the Retailer Private Label sector and our proud of the amazing biscuits we bake for our customers and consumers.
Burton’s Biscuits are owned by a Private Equity Owned business Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan (OTPP or Teachers for short) and form part of their c.$200 B Net Assets portfolio. Working in partnership with Teachers, has allowed Burtons Biscuits to become a forward thinking and progressive business.
In order to ensure we can continue to make fantastic biscuits, and to help us on this amazing journey, we are proud to announce that in 2019 we completed the acquisition of a premium sweet and savoury biscuit manufacturer Thomas Fudge’s, also in 2019 we acquired Scottish bakers Paterson Arran. This increases our baking capabilities across a number of new sweet and savoury categories.
As a result, we now have 6 bakery sites across the UK, located in Blackpool, Livingston, Edinburgh, Dorset, Isle of Arran and Llantarnam, with our head office in St Albans. In total we employ circa 2,000 people around across our locations.
What are we all about?
Here at Burton’s Biscuit Company we pride ourselves on being an employer of choice. Our goal is to support our team in achieving their career goals. We do this by providing a working environment that offers opportunity, support, scope and pace of change. Our culture is the foundation of our business. We are fast paced, agile and fun.
What does your typical day look like?
• Continually develop our engineering & safety systems to improve the wellbeing of our employees
• Lead the engineering team to continuously improve plant reliability whilst meeting the requirements of a complex, high volume production site
• Delivery of financial engineering labour and R&R budget aligned with the delivery of site KPIs (waste, TOS, efficiency, machine uptime, planned tonnage, accidents.)
• Support embedding site principles within Engineering as part of the Llantarnam Improvement Strategy
• To execute, through the engineering planner, a maintenance management programme directed towards optimising plant availability. Control, monitor and review the maintenance, calibration, external service, repair of all production plant and equipment, within the maintenance schedules to a 90% completion rate
• Manage performance via our PDP process, disciplinary, return to work, short interval control, permit to work, purchase order generation and receipting
• Support CI activity with technical expertise and resource
• Demonstrate site principles and winning behaviours
• Support, motivate, develop and coach the team in order to recognise and reward performance and drive robust succession planning
What are the key ingredients needed for the role?
• Proven experience of leading an engineering team, ideally in an FMCG environment to improve overall site performance
• Time served Electrical / Mechanical with NVQ Level 3 (Or equivalent or higher)
• Use of continuous improvement tools and techniques, in particular TPM
• Proven track record of developing high performing teams
• Experience of working in a unionised environment
• Ability to think strategically to enhance site/cultural performance
• Experience in planned maintenance systems (e.g. SAP)
• Detailed knowledge of using & developing MS Office products, particularly Excel
Final part of the mix.
You will need to be a great leader, someone who can see the longer term goal but help your team and those around you understand this and take them on the journey to success with you.
If you are ready to begin a career with real bite we would love to hear from you so apply now by clicking the link below.