Salary: Competitive Salary, plus company pension scheme, 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, onsite parking and many more great tasting benefits to enjoy.
Contract: Full Time, Permanent
Hours: Monday – Friday: Predominately working the day shift, but will need to be happy & flexible to accommodate the needs of the business and role when required, by working outside of these hours. The bakery itself operates across a 24/7 operation.
Who Are We?
At Burton’s Biscuits we are the home of Jammie Dodgers, Patersons Shortbread, Maryland Cookies and Wagon Wheels to name just a few! We are incredibly lucky to work in the world of making delicious biscuits!
Burton’s Biscuits are owned by a Private Equity Owned business Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan (OTPP or Teachers for short) and form part of their $191.1 B Net Assets portfolio. Working in partnership with Teachers has allowed Burtons Biscuits to become a forward thinking and progressive company.
Our Vision is to have a shared Pride and Passion for baking sensational biscuits and snacks that delight our consumers, shoppers and our customers. We employ circa 1,800 people around the UK, with the majority of our workforce being based at our three main Bakery facilities in Llantarnam, Edinburgh and Blackpool. Our head office is based in St. Albans, with a subsidiary office located in Blackpool and smaller but equally important sites based in Dorset, Livingston & the Isle of Arran.
Along with having amazing brands, we have secured long term agreements to allow us to manufacture a number of sweet & savoury snacks across Mars Biscuit, Cathedral City & Marmite branded products. We are also forming key strategic partnerships within the Retailer Private Label sector.
In order to ensure we can continue to make fantastic biscuits, and to help us on this amazing journey, we are proud to announce that in 2019 we completed the acquisition of a premium sweet and savoury biscuit manufacturer Thomas Fudge’s, also in 2019 we acquired Scottish bakers Paterson Arran. This will increase our baking capabilities across a number of new sweet and savoury categories.
What are we all about?
Here at Burton’s Biscuit we pride ourselves on being an employer of choice. Our goal is to support our team in achieving their career goals. We do this by providing a working environment that offers opportunity, support, scope and pace of change. Our culture is the foundation of our business. We are fast paced, agile and fun.
We don’t want to bore you with just a Job description - we want to tell you what it’s really like to work for us?
So let’s start with ….…
Why work as part of our Engineering Team?
As the Site Electrical Engineering Manager, reporting in to the Site Engineering Manager you will be responsible taking the lead on improving our site electrical and control systems and developing our engineering personnel.
Some key tasks will cover:
- To operate a Maintenance Management programme directed towards optimising plant availability. Control, monitor and review the maintenance, calibration, external service, repair of all production plant and equipment, within the maintenance schedules
- To ensure that all maintenance and contract work is carried out with due regard to food safety requirements and best practice
- Train and develop department personnel to achieve a multi skilled integrated team-working environment. Provide technical leadership
- To produce a continuous improvement plan, targeted at increasing productivity from existing plant and reducing maintenance costs
- To work closely with the engineering manager to develop both yearly and 3 yearly departmental improvement plans
- Provide leadership and expertise to the Electrical Engineering teams, providing hands-on support where necessary
- Provide reports and recommendations for betterment opportunities linked to improving control philosophies throughout the plant
- Organise and manage the engineering and contract resources to provide a quality service, adherence to standards and procedures
- To be part of the engineering management team responsible for operational decision-making and key performance indicators
- To assist the Engineering Planning team in monitoring and reviewing the planned electronic and electrical maintenance frequency and schedules. Ensure that all requirements and time scales are properly adhered too
- To help manage sufficient stocks of electrical spares to allow maintenance and servicing to OEM recommendations
- To be aware of electronic and electrical engineering issues on daily basis. Proactively seek and recommend improvement opportunities
- To ensure that compliance with current legislation
- To ensure that quality, electronic and electrical standards are improved and maintained at the highest-level possible, whilst fully supporting the skills development program
- To actively support the engineering reliability program
- To actively support the energy reduction program
- Communicate and action engineering issues on daily basis.
What are the key ingredients needed for the role?
- Time served and ideally have a HNC/HND in relevant subject area
- Previous experience as lead or head of a department
- Ability to work with a wide range of systems within the manufacturing facility, including: PLCs & Networking Systems, VSD’s, DC convertors, Soft Starters, process control instrumentation, power distribution both HV and LV
- Good understanding of robotics, packaging lines, drives, conveyors, pumps and valves
- Experienced in Food and Drink, FMCG, Packaging or similar process industries
- Knowledge of Continuous Improvement and root cause analysis
- Trained to the 18th Edition Electrical Regulations
- Use of CMMS, ideally SAP, but not essential
If you are looking for a new challenge in a fun, fast paced and progressive business then we have the opportunity for you!!
If you are ready to begin a career with real bite we would love to hear from you so apply now by clicking the link below.