Contract: Part time, Permanent
Hours: Friday (19:15 – 07:15) & Sunday (18:00 – 06:00)
Who Are We?
At Burton’s Biscuits we are the home of Jammie Dodgers, Maryland Cookies and Wagon Wheels to name just a few! We are incredibly lucky to work in the world of making delicious biscuits!
Burton’s Biscuits are owned by a Private Equity Owned business Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan (OTPP or Teachers for short) and form part of their $191.1 B Net Assets portfolio. Working in partnership with Teachers, has allowed Burtons Biscuits to become a forward thinking and progressive company.
Our Vision is to have a shared Pride and Passion for baking sensational biscuits and snacks that delight our consumers, shoppers and our customers. We employ circa 1,800 people around the UK, with the majority of our workforce being based at our three main Bakery facilities in Llantarnam, Edinburgh and Blackpool. Our head office is based in St. Albans, with a subsidiary office located in Blackpool and smaller but equally important sites based in Dorset, Livingston & the Isle of Arran.
Along with having amazing brands, we have secured long term agreements to allow us to manufacture a number of sweet & savoury snacks across Mars Biscuit, Cathedral City & Marmite branded products. We are also forming key strategic partnerships within the Retailer Private Label sector.
In order to ensure we can continue to make fantastic biscuits, and to help us on this amazing journey, we are proud to announce that in 2019 we completed the acquisition of a premium sweet and savoury biscuit manufacturer Thomas Fudge’s, also in 2019 we acquired Scottish bakers Paterson Arran. This will increase our baking capabilities across a number of new sweet and savoury categories.
What are we all about?
Here at Burton’s Biscuit we pride ourselves on being an employer of choice. Our goal is to support our team in achieving their career goals. We do this by providing a working environment that offers opportunity, support, scope and pace of change. Our culture is the foundation of our business. We are fast paced, agile and fun.
We don’t want to bore you with just a Job description - we want to tell you what it’s really like to work for us?
So let’s start with ….…
An overview of the role
- To manage and control the efficient running of allocated production lines in their entirety.
- To ensure that the customer’s orders are produced safely, to the correct specification, in a timely and effective manner and in line with budget.
- To work closely with the Manufacturing Improvement Manager (MIM) and Area Managers to realise the Lean agenda in area of responsibility.
Key responsibilities of the role
Operate as part of the Factory and Area Management team to achieve KPI targets for area of responsibility e.g. cost variance, efficiency, waste, TOS, CPM, safety rating, hygiene rating, PQE.
To be responsible for the Shift/Line Lean Manufacturing strategy including owning the implementation roadmap, and delivering team actions on time.
Promote and practice through personal example, behaviours consistent with the company vision and values. Provide guidance, support and leadership to others in working to those values and take the necessary formal action when individuals fail to comply.
- Responsible for all safe working practices within designated area, specifically compliance with H&S legislation on training
- With guidance from SHE Manager/Area Operations Manager – ensure all safety inspections, risk assessments, accident investigations and corrective action plans are carried out in accordance with company policy and legal requirements
Quality & Hygiene
- Management of employees to ensure all manufacturing output is right first time and ensuring completion of PQEs
- Proactively analyse and investigate customer complaints and agree action plans for reduction and elimination of issues
Cost & Delivery
- Create daily shift report for designated production line/s, accurately reporting reason for variances against KPI’s
- Analyse and investigate any variance to line standards in respect of waste, material usage, TOS, downtime etc – agree formal action plan with timescales and accountabilities for improvement.
- Deploy operators to maximum effectiveness to agreed standard manning levels. Control relief and break patterns within each team. Hold briefing meetings with team to give feedback on performance, to discuss immediate issues and longer term improvement opportunities
- In conjunction with the HR Department, implement training provisions for all new entrant staff and ensure training records are completed. Identify specific training for individuals based on development needs
- Conduct face to face shift handovers and coach team members to do the same
- Good standard of education (numeracy and literacy) either GCSE English & Maths (Grade A-C)/equivalent qualifications/equivalent experience
- Green belt or equivalent lean based qualification essential
- ILM Level 4 or be prepared to undertake training
- Previous experience in a management/supervisory role
- Experience of FMCG, ideally food manufacturing
- Experience using computers and associated software including Microsoft word, excel
- Planning and organisation
- Problem solving and analysis
- Commercial Awareness
- Ability to work on own initiative
If you are ready to begin a career with real bite we would love to hear from you so apply now by clicking the link below.
You may have experience of the following: Manufacturing Team Leader, Shift Operations Manager, Line Lead, Shift Team Leader, Manufacturing Supervisor, Production Site Team Leader, Shift Supervisor, Assistant Shift Manager, Food Manufacturing, Production Shift Supervisor, FMCG, Food Production, Shift Lead etc.