Location: Sighthill Industrial Estate, Edinburgh
Rate of Pay: £11.29 Back Shift
Contract: - Seasonal Contract until the end of December 2020
Start Date: Ideally we would like to start an intake of candidates on or from the 10th May 2020
Hours/Shift Pattern: You will be fixed to one of the following shift patterns
Back Shift Opportunities - 2pm - 10pm (Shift pattern Monday – Thursday or Tuesday – Friday from January to June 4 days a week on a 30 hour contract then move to Monday - Friday from July to December 37.5 hour contract
Who Are We?
At Burton’s Biscuits we are the home of Jammie Dodgers, Maryland Cookies and Wagon Wheels to name just a few! We are incredibly lucky to work in the world of making delicious biscuits!
Burton’s Biscuits are owned by a Private Equity Owned business Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan (OTPP or Teachers for short) and form part of their $191.1 B Net Assets portfolio. Working in partnership with Teachers, has allowed Burtons Biscuits to become a forward thinking and progressive company.
Our Vision is to have a shared Pride and Passion for baking sensational biscuits and snacks that delight our consumers, shoppers and our customers. We employ circa 1,800 people around the UK, with the majority of our workforce being based at our three main Bakery facilities in Llantarnam, Edinburgh and Blackpool. Our head office is based in St. Albans, with a subsidiary office located in Blackpool and smaller but equally important sites based in Dorset, Livingston & the Isle of Arran.
Along with having amazing brands, we have secured long term agreements to allow us to manufacture a number of sweet & savoury snacks across Mars Biscuit, Cathedral City & Marmite branded products. We are also forming key strategic partnerships within the Retailer Private Label sector.
In order to ensure we can continue to make fantastic biscuits, and to help us on this amazing journey, we are proud to announce that in 2019 we completed the acquisition of a premium sweet and savoury biscuit manufacturer Thomas Fudge’s, also in 2019 we acquired Scottish bakers Paterson Arran. This will increase our baking capabilities across a number of new sweet and savoury categories.
What are we all about?
Here at Burton’s Biscuit we pride ourselves on being an employer of choice. Our goal is to support our team in achieving their career goals. We do this by providing a working environment that offers opportunity, support, scope and pace of change. Our culture is the foundation of our business. We are fast paced, agile and fun.
We don’t want to bore you with just a Job description - we want to tell you what it’s really like to work for us?
So let’s start with ….…
Why work as part of our Production team?
We are looking for self-motivated and dedicated Process Operators who are seeking a challenging and rewarding role at the heart of our business at our Edinburgh Bakery. You will carry out all duties relating to process of baking biscuits in the production area. This involves a high level of specification for baking biscuits which includes rotary/moulding of dough, ovens, depository (mallow,jam,crème,toffee) and chocolate enrobing.
What does your typical day look like?
· Understand Production plan and Products for the Bakery
· Ensuring that the Plants are set up for relevant and desired product to centreline specification
· Monitoring of rotary/moulding and oven ensuring weights and moisture are within specification
· Where required making Toffee, Mallow or Crème to depositing on the product
· For Chocolate products ensuring correct coverage and weight of product
· As and when required trained to carry out changeovers on the Plants for next production runs
· Ensure compliance of Food Safety Standards
· Adhere to basic PPE and Plant Safety Standards
· Participate in any Safety, Health and Environment related courses as required
· Responsible for own and safety of others
· Comply with all safety regulations and instruction
· Participate in training and development of self and team
· Maintenance of hygiene and ‘clean as you go’ procedures
· Working together as part of a team to ensure we make great biscuits
· Operate and maintain all machinery in such a way as to ensure optimum performance and minimise downtime
· Conduct routine quality checks of the product as prescribed by the Process Control Sheet, adjusting settings as required to maintain the highest possible level of quality and to meet the Product Specification
· Communicate effectively with colleagues in order to control production and reduce waste
· Ensure the safe working environment and good hygiene of the process machinery and working area at all times
· Removed couple of points from here
What are the key ingredients needed for the role?
· Team Work - Working together as part of a team to ensure we make great biscuits
· Ability to work on own initiative “Making the right decisions based on what is best for Burtons”
· Experience a manufacturing environment is key.
· Good attention to detail
· Problem Solving – ability to react to fault finding skills and have the ability to work with the minimum amount of supervision
· Good numeric skills
· A flexible and self-motivated person
· Good communication skills
· Excellent time keeping and attendance record
· Awareness of health and safety and food safety / hygiene requirements is desirable
· Experience within the food manufacturing environment desirable
If you are ready to begin a career with real bite, we would love to hear from you so apply now by clicking the link below.