Who Are We?
At Burton’s Biscuits we are the home of Jammie Dodgers, Maryland Cookies and Wagon Wheels to name just a few! We are incredibly lucky to work in the world of making delicious biscuits!
Burton’s Biscuits are owned by a Private Equity Owned business Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan (OTPP or Teachers for short) and form part of their $191.1 B Net Assets portfolio. Working in partnership with Teachers, has allowed Burtons Biscuits to become a forward thinking and progressive company.
Our Vision is to have a shared Pride and Passion for baking sensational biscuits and snacks that delight our consumers, shoppers and our customers. We employ circa 1,800 people around the UK, with the majority of our workforce being based at our three main Bakery facilities in Llantarnam, Edinburgh and Blackpool. Our head office is based in St. Albans, with a subsidiary office located in Blackpool and smaller but equally important sites based in Dorset, Livingston & the Isle of Arran.
Along with having amazing brands, we have secured long term agreements to allow us to manufacture a number of sweet & savoury snacks across Mars Biscuit, Cathedral City & Marmite branded products. We are also forming key strategic partnerships within the Retailer Private Label sector.
In order to ensure we can continue to make fantastic biscuits, and to help us on this amazing journey, we are proud to announce that in 2019 we completed the acquisition of a premium sweet and savoury biscuit manufacturer Thomas Fudge’s, also in 2019 we acquired Scottish bakers Paterson Arran. This will increase our baking capabilities across a number of new sweet and savoury categories.
What are we all about?
Here at Burton’s Biscuit Company we pride ourselves on being an employer of choice. Our goal is to support our team in achieving their career goals. We do this by providing a working environment that offers opportunity, support, scope and pace of change. Our culture is the foundation of our business. We are fast paced, agile and fun.
About the role:
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a NPD Technologist to join our dynamic and fast-paced NPD team at our Llantarnam Bakery. This is a key role in the NPD Team and as a NPD Technologist you will be the link between product development project delivery and technical information for specification generation. You will have an understanding of product development process from concept to launch and will be confident in using technical IT support systems like Hamilton Grant. You will support the Innovation projects and will have responsibility for the NPD test bakery organisation, supporting the site filter costing process, ensuring sample despatch and maintaining NPD organoleptic shelf life testing.
- Execute projects on a day to day basis within the R&D development team
- Support the NPD Manager in creating product concepts
- Support the NPD Manager in scale up trial of product development projects
- Ensure completion of technical R&D documentation for new products and processes for commercial scale up (raw materials, process layout, customer sample forms and finished product specifications)
- Support NPD Specifications Manager
- Day to day ownership of the test bakery operation
- Maintain stocks of ingredients within the test bakery & trials area
- Manage the product development shelf life testing
- Manage the sample despatch process
- Attendance to the weekly site filter meeting representing R&D
- Inputting development recipes and raw materials into Hamilton Grant
- Exporting recipes from Hamilton Grant for use in Specifications
Qualifications and Experience:
- A degree or equivalent experience in a food-related subject and knowledge of product development process and technical systems
- Good understanding and strong interest in food product development
- Good understanding of company manufacturing capabilities, products, process flows and HACCP systems
- Experience in working with all level company business partners
- Experience of Hamilton-Grant database is desirable
- Experience of allergen control is desirable
- Knowledge of food legislation is desirable
- High level of computer literacy - Microsoft Excel/Word and Internet/SAP
If you are ready to begin a career with real bite, we would love to hear from you so apply now by clicking the link below.