Location: Sighthill Industrial Estate, Edinburgh
Rate of Pay: £Competitive Hourly Rate
7x Backshift Opportunity - 2pm - 10pm (Shift pattern Monday – Thursday or Tuesday – Friday from January to June 4 days a week on a 30 hour contract then move to Monday - Friday from July to December 37.5 hour contract
Who Are We?
At Burton’s Biscuits we are the home of Jammie Dodgers, Maryland Cookies and Wagon Wheels to name just a few! We are incredibly lucky to work in the world of making delicious biscuits!
Burton’s Biscuits are owned by a Private Equity Owned business Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan (OTPP or Teachers for short) and form part of their $191.1 B Net Assets portfolio. Working in partnership with Teachers, has allowed Burtons Biscuits to become a forward thinking and progressive company.
Our Vision is to have a shared Pride and Passion for baking sensational biscuits and snacks that delight our consumers, shoppers and our customers. We employ circa 1,800 people around the UK, with the majority of our workforce being based at our three main Bakery facilities in Llantarnam, Edinburgh and Blackpool. Our head office is based in St. Albans, with a subsidiary office located in Blackpool and smaller but equally important sites based in Dorset, Livingston & the Isle of Arran.
Along with having amazing brands, we have secured long term agreements to allow us to manufacture a number of sweet & savoury snacks across Mars Biscuit, Cathedral City & Marmite branded products. We are also forming key strategic partnerships within the Retailer Private Label sector.
In order to ensure we can continue to make fantastic biscuits, and to help us on this amazing journey, we are proud to announce that in 2019 we completed the acquisition of a premium sweet and savoury biscuit manufacturer Thomas Fudge’s, also in 2019 we acquired Scottish bakers Paterson Arran. This will increase our baking capabilities across a number of new sweet and savoury categories.
What are we all about?
Here at Burton’s Biscuit we pride ourselves on being an employer of choice. Our goal is to support our team in achieving their career goals. We do this by providing a working environment that offers opportunity, support, scope and pace of change. Our culture is the foundation of our business. We are fast paced, agile and fun.
We don’t want to bore you with just a Job description - we want to tell you what it’s really like to work for us?
So let’s start with ….…
Why work as part of our Production team?
We are looking for self-motivated and dedicated Machine Operators who are seeking a challenging and rewarding role at the heart of our business at our Edinburgh Bakery. You will carry out all duties relating to machine operating in the production area to ensure quality of outgoing product.
What does your typical day look like?
· Monitoring the finished biscuits whilst managing the packing of finished product
· Setting up and maintaining the machines during Production run on Packing Floor
· Responsibility for Changing machines between Production runs
· Changing Biscuit film reels on the run
· Maintaining settings of machinery to correct standards and guidelines
· Operating wrapping machines , robotics , packaging machines and checkweighers
· Checking codes and completion of daily production documentation
· Ensure compliance of Food Safety Standards
· Adhere to basic PPE and Plant Safety Standards
· Participate in any Safety, Health and Environment related courses as required
· Responsible for own and safety of others
· Comply with all safety regulations and instruction
· Participate in training and development of self and team
· Maintenance of hygiene and ‘clean as you go’ procedures
· Working together as part of a team to ensure we make great biscuits
· May have involvement in Continuous Improvement activities
What are the key ingredients needed for the role?
· Team Work - Working together as part of a team to ensure we make great biscuits
· Ability to work on own initiative “Making the right decisions based on what is best for Burtons”
· Experience of machine operation in a manufacturing environment an advantage
· Problem Solving – ability to react to fault finding skills and have the ability to work with the minimum amount of supervision
· Good numeric skills
· A flexible and self-motivated person
· Good communication skills
· Excellent time keeping and attendance record
· Awareness of health and safety and food safety / hygiene requirements is desirable
· Experience within the food manufacturing environment desirable
If you are ready to begin a career with real bite, we would love to hear from you so apply now by clicking the link below.