Location: Edinburgh, Sighthill Industrial Estate, Calder Road, Edinburgh, EH11 4HN
Job type: Full Time, Permanent
Hours: The position will work Monday – Friday, with a Shift Pattern, covering 39 hours per week over Mornings, Afternoons and Nights
Salary: £Competitive plus pension, holidays, free parking and subsidised canteen
Who we are?
At Burton’s Biscuits we are the home of Jammie Dodgers, Maryland Cookies and Wagon Wheels to name just a few! We are incredibly lucky to work in the world of making delicious biscuits!
Burton’s Biscuits are owned by a Private Equity Owned business Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan (OTPP or Teachers for short) and form part of their $191.1 B Net Assets portfolio. Working in partnership with Teachers, has allowed Burtons Biscuits to become a forward thinking and progressive company.
Our Vision is to have a shared Pride and Passion for baking sensational biscuits and snacks that delight our consumers, shoppers and our customers. We employ circa 1,800 people around the UK, with the majority of our workforce being based at our three main Bakery facilities in Llantarnam, Edinburgh and Blackpool. Our head office is based in St. Albans, with a subsidiary office located in Blackpool and smaller but equally important sites based in Dorset, Livingston & the Isle of Arran.
Along with having amazing brands, we have secured long term agreements to allow us to manufacture a number of sweet & savoury snacks across Mars Biscuit, Cathedral City & Marmite branded products. We are also forming key strategic partnerships within the Retailer Private Label sector.
In order to ensure we can continue to make fantastic biscuits, and to help us on this amazing journey, we are proud to announce that in 2019 we completed the acquisition of a premium sweet and savoury biscuit manufacturer Thomas Fudge’s, also in 2019 we acquired Scottish bakers Paterson Arran. This will increase our baking capabilities across a number of new sweet and savoury categories.
What we are all about here?
Here at Burton’s Biscuit we pride ourselves on being an employer of choice. Our goal is to support our team in achieving their career goals. We do this by providing a working environment that offers opportunity, support, scope and pace of change. As such we have a number of capital investment projects & improvements planned for our bakeries.
Why work as part of our team?
We are looking for an ambitious Multi Skilled Technician with an Electrical Bias who is seeking a challenging and rewarding role at the heart of our business at our Edinburgh Bakery.
You will provide a timely and effective engineering service to our customers in production whilst ensuring safety, quality and hygiene standards are met. The position is on a Day/Night/Back Shift Pattern, covering 39 hours per week.
What does your typical day look like?
- Carry out planned maintenance activities as scheduled by the maintenance plan contained within the CMMS
- Attend and repair breakdowns as required, and report all actions carried out and any further actions required, via the CMMS
- Report in a comprehensive manner via the CMMS, all work activities carried out on a daily/shift basis
- Be proactive in preventing equipment failures and improving overall equipment performance by generating and implementing ideas and modifications
- Provide a service that meets agreed service levels, including minimising downtime and communicating effectively with relevant personnel
- Provide a service that meets food safety standards, whilst maintaining standards of housekeeping and personal hygiene
What are the key ingredients needed for the role?
- Educated to HNC standard (or equivalent) or higher in Electrical Engineering is essential
- Time-served with electrical bias to NVQ level 3 (or equivalent)
- Post apprenticeship, preferably in a high speed, high volume manufacturing environment (food environment preferable)
- A proven practitioner of preventative maintenance, predictive maintenance, problem solving and continuous improvement skills
- Must have a proven ability in diagnostic fault finding under pressure of production
- Must have familiarity with PLC control systems and industrial networks
- Familiarity with the use of PC equipment is essential
- Proven experience of working with Variable speed drives (Preferably Control techniques and Allen Bradley Powerflex)
Any of the below would be a bonus:
- Familiar with TPM principles including 5S. Use of CMMS (computerised maintenance management systems)
- Diagnostic Experience with Rockwell and Siemens PLC systems.
- Profinet, Profibus and EthernetIP network experience.
- Trained to the 18th Edition Electrical Regulations.
- An experience of fault finding on refrigeration plant.
- Familiarity with Robotic packaging machinery. (Schubert/Codian)
Final part of the mix
We offer fantastic company benefits, an environment that you will enjoy to work in and genuine development and progression opportunities.
Does this sound like the role for you? Apply by clicking the link.
Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to notify unsuccessful applicants. If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of the closing date, please assume you have not been short listed for an interview.
You may have experience of the following: Multi-Skilled Technician, Multi-Skilled Engineer, Electrical Engineer, Maintenance Engineer, Electrical Engineering, Maintenance Technician, Engineer, Shift Engineer, Multi-Skilled Shift Engineer, Electrical Apprentice, Preventative Maintenance, Predictive Maintenance, Production Engineer, Food Manufacturing, Food Engineer etc.