Who Are Burtons Biscuits?
We are the home of Jammie Dodgers, Paterson Shortbread, Maryland Cookies and Wagon Wheels to name just a few! We are incredibly lucky to work in the world of making delicious biscuits!
‘We are a more successful and fun place to work when people feel free to be themselves’.
At Burton’s we believe in the power of being authentic, being entrepreneurial and being supportive to each other to meet our common goals…oh and did we mention having fun?!
Understanding our customers is crucial to our success, so having a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers is vital.
As a business we are committed to the continuous improvement of diversity and equality in the workplace and we welcome talented individuals from all backgrounds who share our Pride and Passion for Baking Great Biscuits and snacks.
Along with having amazing brands, we have secured long term agreements to allow us to manufacture a number of sweet & savoury snacks across Mars, Cathedral City & Marmite branded products. We also have several key strategic partnerships within the Retailer Private Label sector and our proud of the amazing biscuits we bake for our customers and consumers.
Within our Burton’s group, we have 6 bakery sites across the UK, located in Blackpool, Livingston, Edinburgh, Dorset, Isle of Arran and Llantarnam, with our head office in St Albans. In total we employ circa 2,100 people around across our locations.
Burton’s Biscuits is owned by Ferrero and we are proud to be part of such a fantastic and successful business. The Ferrero Group operates in more than 50 Countries and their products are sold in over 170 Countries. We are delighted to be part of the Ferrero group which represents over 37,000 employees across the world and has a consolidated turnover of €12.3 billion (2020).
What are we all about?
Here at Burton’s Biscuit we pride ourselves on being an employer of choice. Our goal is to support our team in achieving their career goals. We do this by providing a working environment that offers opportunity, support, scope and pace of change. Our culture is the foundation of our business. We are fast paced, agile and fun.
What does your typical day look like?
To support the safe, effective, and efficient use of our Production equipment by quickly addressing any Failures during production. Ensuring that all assigned Maintenance work inspections, repairs, and Planned Preventative Maintenance are completed to the required standards. Assist in the improvement of reliability of the sites equipment by completing all work reports accurately and helping to prioritise any engineering work and to drive improved reliability.
Other key actions will be but not limited to:
- Fault diagnosis and breakdown repairs of plant, wrapping machines and site services.
- Planned maintenance (PM), modifications, installations, and upgrades to plant machinery and site services.
- Application and adherence to Good Manufacturing Practice.
- Upkeep and alteration of electrical or mechanical drawing as needed.
- To undertake other duties as requested.
- Gas system maintenance including over burner repairs and set up (if trained)
- To work across mechanical and electrical trades as qualified.
- To deal directly with suppliers on machine or plant issues.
- To improve site production processes and plant design to minimise downtime & improve safety and quality.
- Repair, refurbishment & modification to all pipework & values including gas, ingredient, pneumatic, water, heating systems, water jackets, toilets & sinks.
- Maintenance & clearance of site drainage systems including process supply & discharge lines.
- Process ingredient line and cooling tower work as required.
- Maintenance and repairs to steam pressure vessels and pipework including boilers, calorifiers, steam traps and condensates..
- Replacement & repairs to electrical, fluid and gaseous metering equipment.
- Maintenance and repair of plant and equipment to high Engineering, Quality, Safety and Hygiene standards.
- Decisions made within the Electricity at Work act and site Electrical Code of Practice (ECOPS).
- Issue of permits as authorised by the management team.
- Managing contractors to ensure relevant standards are met with due regards to safety, hygiene and quality.
Qualifications. Essential & Desirable.
- Time Served in Mechanical Engineering disciplines.
- Food safety/Hygiene qualification
- Knowledge of planned maintenance systems (Shire)
- Detailed knowledge of using & developing MS Office products, particularly Excel.
- Manufacturing background (preferably food industry)
- Ability to problem solve.
- To undertake self-measurement and development as appropriate.
- Ability to work consistently to high standards and prioritise tasks according to workload
- A wide-ranging knowledge of industrial and domestic pipefitting with particular emphasis placed on gas and steam systems.
- Communication with internal and external functions.
- PC literate
- Must be able to demonstrate a flexible skill set.
- To be fully conversant and compliant with site Permit to Work and Isolation procedures.
The duties described here may be adapted to meet the needs of a changing organisation and therefore is expected to evolve in line with the organisation.