10 Lyon’s fig rolls
4 egg yolks
30g caster sugar
30g plain flour
½ tsp vanilla extract
1. Separate 4 eggs, putting the yolks into a large bowl.
2. Add the caster sugar to the egg yolks and whisk until combined, then mix in the plain flour and vanilla extract.
3.Heat the milk on a very gentle heat until warm but not quite boiling, stirring regularly to ensure that it does not burn.
4. Once the milk is warm, remove from the heat and gradually add to the egg yolk mixture a bit at a time, whisking each addition in completely before adding more.
5. Once combined, put the mixture into the pan and return to a very gentle heat.
6. Continue to cook, whisking constantly, until the custard has reached your desired thickness – this usually takes about 10 minutes but will depend on how runny you want your custard to be, you must whisk the custard constantly to avoid it going lumpy.
7. Remove from the heat and continue to whisk for another minute.
8. Place fig rolls on a plate and warm in the microwave for 1 minute.
9. Divide fig rolls into 4 bowls (2 ½ per person) and pour hot custard over liberally.